A 712-km quantum communication line has been launched by China. It is told to be World’s longest super-secure quantum communication line connecting Hefei, capital of Anhui province to Shanghai, the country’s financial hub. It boasts of ultra-high security making it impossible to wiretap, intercept or crack the information transmitted through them. Following points dictate its facts:
- The 712-km line is part of a 2,000-km Beijing-Shanghai quantum communication.
- This line consists of 11 stations which took three years of construction.
- Experts from 18 countries witnessed a secure remote video meeting between Hefei and Shanghai via the quantum line at a recent international conference on quantum technology.
- The Beijing-Shanghai quantum communication line is likely to be completed at the end of this year.
- It will be backbone and highly secured communication network to be used in the fields of finance, electronics and government affairs.
World’s first quantum satellite
China had successfully launched the world’s first quantum satellite in August this year. It was nicknamed as ‘Micius’ after a 5th century BC Chinese philosopher and scientist. The Micius quantum satellite will be connected with the Beijing-Shanghai quantum communication line through the line’s station in Beijing. It will enable the space-to-Earth highly securecommuniaction network. Also it will be hack-proof quantum communication network.
Briefing about Quantum communication:
- Quantum communication make use of subatomic particles to securely communicate between two points. These subatomic particles are actually quantum entanglement of photons.
- It ensures that nobody taps into the line.
- This is because a photon can be neither be separated nor duplicated. Thus tapping the network will inevitably corrupt the signal.
- It has the ability which helps in informing the two communicating users about the presence of any third party trying to eavesdrop. Also, at the same time, the information being intercepted will get self-destructed.